Tuesday, May 31, 2011

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven.  Sunday,  Bob's season of serving as Bishop came to an end.  It was a nice day.  Both of us were asked to take a couple of minutes...literally...and share a few thoughts in Sacrament meeting.  Bob, of course, was profound as usual.  I on the other hand, made no sense.  As is typical, my thoughts were all jumbled up.  How can you possibly share the experiences you've had over the last 7 years in 2 or 3 minutes?  You can't. Many people came up to him, and to me, to say how much they loved and appreciated him.  That was so nice.  It made him feel good to have so many people tell him that.  Aaron, Courtney and the boys were there with us.  It meant so much that they would come. After church was over, Bob came into my classroom, helped me load up my stuff and we left together in his pickup.  That was strange....but wonderful.   It will be easy for me to get used to riding home with him every week!  It's been a long time since that has happened. 

We've known now, for a couple of weeks that his release was going to happen. At first, it felt a little sad.  Like a loss or something.  This calling has been a part of our lives for a long, long time!  The Sunday he was called to be Bishop, Tim gave his homecoming talk....now he's graduated from college and has three kids!  When he was called, only two of our kids were married.  We had two grandchildren.  Now, all our kids have married and we have fourteen grandchildren.  Two more on the way!  A lot has happened in our family during these past seven years!  That sad feeling, the feeling of loss we felt,  lasted for maybe an hour or so...then as we really thought about it, we just felt giddy!   It's helped to have that time to look back and remember.  Since then, I've thought about the things I'll miss.  I've thought about the things I won't miss, too! 

I won't miss sitting alone in church every week.  Most Sundays I never even got to say hi.  Most times I only saw him when he was sitting on the stand.  After that he seemed to disappear...into his office or somewhere!  I never knew.  I won't miss being home alone every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and usually on Saturdays.  He always tried to make Fridays special and I appreciated that.  I won't miss the "look" when he walked through the door on Sunday's after church that let me know he'd had a sad day.  Bishops love their people...so much so that they are in their thoughts, and hearts, 24 hours a day.  No matter if we are home, or on vacation.  He never left home without them!  I won't miss turning over in bed to see him laying awake staring up at the ceiling...thinking.  Knowing he's carrying a load, but can't share it, is really hard.  All you can do is give hugs, tell him he's awesome and make chocolate chip cookies.  That always seemed to help!  If only people really knew how hard a Bishop worked and worried.  I know I didn't.  I'm glad I know now.  I will serve more faithfully and try to live better so I won't have to add to his load.

I most definitely will miss, the Laurels and Priests coming over to break the fast on Sundays.  We had so much fun over the years having them in our home.  I loved having cookies ready for them each time.  It became a tradition...cookies before breakfast.  As many as they could eat!  They have all been such good and sweet kids.  We've loved them all.  I will miss hearing the cute, cute stories from the 7 year olds and their Baptismal interviews.  How fun are Primary kids?  Nothing is better.  I'll miss keeping the Bishops treat jar full!  He loved handing out the treats to his kids!  I will miss being one of the first to hear where a Missionary has been called to serve on his mission.  Each time it was like one of our own was going out again.  We felt so proud. I will miss the knocks at the door, people just stopping by.  I will miss the cookies on the porch, the special dinners offered to us by the Young Women, the adorable little notes Primary children give to their Bishops. I will miss his, "So and so has reached the big milestone of turning 16!  Now he/she gets to drive and double date!"  I often told him he needed to think of something new to say, but he never did and I'm glad.  I will miss going up to Girls Camp on Bishops night.  Watching him on stage performing a skit, being silly for the girls.  Hearing the Young Women bare their testimonies around the campfire.  Now, that was special.  I will miss the special prayers for my husband.  Prayers of love from his Ward members.  They helped...they really did.  He could feel them. I will miss all these things and so many more.

Our Ward was so good to Bob.  So many good people.  They always showed us so much love and kindness. This opportunity has been amazing.  The blessings to numerous to name.  We will never forget it.  I just have to say, Heavenly Father loves his Bishops, I know he does.  Whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies.  President Monson said that.  I believe it.  I can testify of it, because I've seen it.  The Lord blesses his Bishops because he knows they can't fulfill their responsibility without Him. So, he blesses them with an extra dose of the spirit.  It's all around them.  I hope it sticks around here, because it's felt really, really good.      
           

4 comments:

Moore Family said...

7 years.... wow.. It is bitter sweet when they get released.

Lou Ellen said...

Good post, I loved your comments about the blessings of bishop. Save a tithing envelope, put it in Bob's 'scrapbook - he won't care, but the grandkids may like to see it one day. Go celebrate on a cruise!

Lou Ellen said...

And I just sent your blog link to Susie Howard Martin. Clarence was just called as Bishop. She might be interested to hear from the 'other side'. love you ~

greatbon said...

That was great. It was amazing to me that all the things you have to do fit in with your life, and when you are done you can't figure out how that happened. Give him a hug from me.