Tuesday, December 7, 2010


The Greatest Gift My Mother Ever Gave Me, was the Gospel of Jesus Christ in my life.  It's her birthday today and I've been thinking about her a lot this past week.  I felt it was important to put down in print this gift of hers to me and to my family.  For without it, we might not BE.  My mom grew up in a family that were members of our church, but they were not an active family.  If you were to ever tell any of them that though, they'd argue with you about it until they were blue in the face.  They were proud to be "Mormons," but you wouldn't find them in church.  My mom rarely, if ever, attended as a youth.  She admits she made some wrong choices in her teenage years, and her wrong choices led to some hard consequences. 

After my brother and I were born, she began to think about what was really important to her.  She began to realize that the Gospel could bring to her and her family happiness.  She recognized it's importance in her life, and recognized how important it was for my brother and I to have it in our lives.  I liken her to a Pioneer.  She was alone at the beginning.  My father didn't help her.  He didn't go to church with us, I don't know if he made it easy for her.  I don't remember that part, but I doubt he helped her get us out the door.  I just remember all of a sudden church became a new thing we did. And once we started, we never stopped going. Eventually, my dad did make the decision to join us. Because of my Mom's example, we eventually became a forever family.   

I just think about what might have been, had she not been brave enough, or committed enough to begin. Alone, all by herself.  One of those women who bring their families to church on Sunday, week after week with no support from a spouse.  In those days it wasn't just three hours on Sunday either.  It was two times on Sunday, Primary on Tuesday, Mutual on Wednesday and Relief Society on Thursday.  We went to everything. Everytime she was asked to serve, she served with all her heart.  She taught us that too, by example.

Because of the decision she made, those many years ago, when she came to her fork in the road...she's left quite the legacy.  She only had 2 children.... but, from our two families she had 10 grandchildren. 7 Missionaries have spread the Gospel to Colorado, Florida, Italy, Russia, South Africa, North Carolina, Virginia and the West Indies.  All of us are active and serving in Wards wherever we live.  Almost all have married in the Temple and those that haven't are striving for it.  There are now great grandchildren who have come along....22 to date.  All being taught about a Heavenly Father who loves them.   She instilled in my brother and I,  that the Gospel was true.  By example we knew it was important.  I've never doubted.  Never. I know by brother hasn't either.

So today, I want her family to remember this greatest gift she's left...not just to me, but to us all.  What if she hadn't chosen to take THIS fork in the road.  Where would I be?  Where would you be...would you be?  She was just the greatest grandma, wasn't she. She still is. She just loved you so much, didn't she! I know she's watching,  rooting for all of us, every step of the way.  Just like always. 

   

4 comments:

Robyn said...

Makes me miss her! She really was the BEST g-ma:)

dangrover said...

Very nice mom, I think you nailed it. You have big G-Maw* shoes to fill and your doing an amazing job!

Adamson Family Blog said...

Wow! Great story to hear, gives me chills.

greatbon said...

I never knew that, your mother was truly remarkable. Wow, thanks for sharing.