As a little girl growing up in Seattle I have many memories of our "Seafair" celebration. From the pirates landing on Alki Beach, to the Seafair parade and the Toarchlight parade. One of my fondest memories is of my Dad taking us down to Lake Washington on a warm Sunday afternoon to watch the Hydro-plane races. It was so different then, than it is now. There was no traffic, there was plenty of room for everyone to sit, we'd park and walk just a few feet to where we'd sit on the banks of the lake and listen to the engines of the hydro's roar and their rooster tails fly! It would be so exciting! We'd come home and build wooden hydro's to tie onto the back of our bicycles and then watch them splash and bounce as we'd drive through puddles. After my kids came along, I tried to share Seafair with them. We went to the parade and watched the Hydroplanes. The Blue Angels became part of Seafair when they were young. I'd go to great lengths to get stuck on I-90 on a "Sunday afternoon drive" so they could watch the final heat of the hydro races and see the Blue Angels! Aaron is carrying on the tradition with his family now. Today we joined them and went to the Blue Angeles show. Now, it's not just on Sundays but Fridays and Saturdays, as well. As we were walking up to the lake to secure our spot I could hear the familiar "roar" of the Hydro's. The memories came flooding back. I had a great time.
Grandpa and Hank sharing a picnic!
Beautiful Lake Washington. The Hydro course is dead ahead, but we were too far to be able to see anything. Back in the day, we'd be front and center. Now we'd have to pay $30.00!
No comments:
Post a Comment